Dwarf Fortress (officially called Slaves to Armok: God of Blood Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress) is a part construction and management simulation, part roguelike, indie video game created by Tarn and Zach Adams. Freeware and in development since 2002, its first alpha version was released in 2006 and it received attention for being a two-member project surviving solely on donations. The primary game mode is set in a procedurally generated fantasy world in which the player indirectly controls a group of dwarves, and attempts to construct a successful and wealthy underground fortress. Critics praised its complex, emergent gameplay but had mixed reactions to its difficulty. The game influenced Minecraft and was selected among other games to be featured in the Museum of Modern Art to show the history of video gaming in 2012.
About this game
Best alternatives and similar games to Dwarf Fortress
- Thanks, Dwarf Fortress!
- Dwarf Fortress is amazing.
- This game is actually fun too.
- FUN A lot of fun in this game.
- Losing is fun! DF is VERY fun. 🙂
- Dwarf Fortress is a story generator.
- This is no “”Press X to Win”” casual game.
- Possibly the best strategy game ever made.
- Dwarf Fortress makes you work for your fun.
- Don’t forget : “”Losing is FUN!””â¦ Expand”
- It’s steep learning curve is worth the climb.
- Probably the funniest game I have ever played.
- One of the worst interfaces in gaming history.
- Adventure mode is very rouge-like in feel and execution.
- You can literally get stabbed ANYWHERE in adventure mode.
- Dwarf fortress, one of the most fun and !fun! games ever.
- Dwarf Fortress is not a game I would recommend to anyone.
- However, “”Losing is fun”” is the game’s motto, after all.
- Dwarf Fortress is an amazingly complex and fascinating game.
- Think Sim City, meets The Sims… but with dwarves.â¦ Expand
- Strike the earth, and always remember, losing is FUN!â¦ Expand
- I have barley scratched the surface of what Dwarf Fortress offers.
- Dwarf Fortress is one of the best game experiences I have ever had.
- But i mean i think its funny to see letters stabbing other letters.
- Adventurer mode is enjoyable, but not to the extent of fortress mode.
- I’m tempted to say Dwarf Fortress is the best game I have ever played.
- TheDwarf Fortress is one of the best game experiences I have ever had.
- DF, however, is the only gamePossibly the best strategy game ever made.
- Left middle finger, nose, right toe, it gets funny when you are fighting.
- It is a game so complex that there isn’t just one way of having fun with it.
- This entertaining narrative, to me, sums up why i enjoy playing Dwarf Fortress.
- I have played this game for a couple of years and i still don’t get bored of it.
- This game is only for the intelligent or those with a love of complex simulations.
- The main thing though is how complex the game is which is what really makes it fun.
- If you are looking for a fun strategy game I would highly suggest looking elsewhere.
- Dwarf Fortress is one of the most incredibly deep and complex games I have ever seen.
- Dwarf Fortress is the premier game in it’s genre, and a solid contender across the board.
- A brilliant game with an in depth community, with each new world brings new history and life.
- it is an incredibly complex simulation game where you take control of a population of dwarves.
- The amount of stuff to this game is also amazing, just the whole research part can be pretty fun.
Dwarf Fortress “Strike the Earth” (ep 1) – (Let’s Play / Gameplay 2015)
Dwarf Fortress: Review / Overview
Reddit subreddits and hot topics
MechGuides – Dwarf Fortress Guides by Mechanixm
Dwarf Fortress Art
Dwarf Fortress mod replaces 2D with Isometric view
I’m Tarn Adams of Bay 12 Games, co-creator of Dwarf Fortress. AMA!
Dwarf Fortress makes me happy.
A new Dwarf Fortress mod replaces the 2D tiles with full isometric graphics
“7 DAYS UNTIL DWARF FORTRESS’ 10TH BIRTHDAY AND OUR LOVE-BOMBING OF THE
TARNS WITH MASTERFULLY CRAFTED CRAYON DRAWINGS ADORNED WITH MENACING STEEL
Explaining Dwarf Fortress to my Wife
Dwarf Fortress is an artistic masterpiece. No, really.
“3 weeks until Dwarf Fortress’ 10th birthday and our love-bombing of the
Tarns with masterfully crafted crayon drawings”
“After all this time, why has there been no move to bring Dwarf Fortress
into more accessible territory with a proper GUI?”
“71 days until Dwarf Fortress’ 10th birthday on August 8th and our
love-bombing of the Tarns with masterfully crafted crayon drawings”
Designing for Procedural Generation (featuring Tarn Adams of Dwarf Fortress)
“Why hasn’t someone made a game like Banished with the complexity and
variability of Dwarf Fortress?“